The Art of Tien Tam: Archer

10/16/13

Archer

This year is proving to be a very difficult one for me. Trying to find a 3d job has been tough and frustrating to say the lease. It is hard to keep a positive outlook but a spiral of negativity doesn't get you anywhere. So I'm trying to stay positive and continuing to work on projects definitely helps. So I created this guy. He's just a test character for a game prototype my friend is working on.

The idea was to keep it as low poly as possible.  I piece together some ref and just went at it. When I got something that I liked I decided it was time to move to texturing.  It was very helpful to think of this guy as just a place holder. I was able to not worry too much about how "perfect" it had to be.

I tried my hands at some hand painted textures, which was a first for me. I looked at alot of examples and downloaded the Dota 2 style guide and a tutorial from Hai Phan (these 2 things helped alot).  Did a tonal pass, lay down blocks of colors, added more detail and fake AO, and then a final polish pass.  I was very happy with the results!



 Going to try and see if a friend of mine can't rig up this guy, and get him into the game prototype.  If this project goes forward, I might be creating more of this low poly characters. It was a good learning experience and alot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment